Friday, October 3, 2008

Weekend Video - Janis Joplin




YouTube never ceases to amaze me. One of my favorite Janis Joplin songs is her relatively obscure version of Rodgers and Hart’s “Little Girl Blue”. Joplin recorded the song in 1969 after the success of the track “Summertime” on the album Cheap Thrills, so the idea was to mix another re-worked show tune into her follow-up album Pearl. However, Joplin died in 1970 and the song was added to the album posthumously as a live version.

I never thought I would actually get to see film of Joplin singing the song, but a YouTube search offered up this 1969 clip taken from the singer Tom Jones’s variety show – “This is Tom Jones”. Amazing....

5 comments:

QBParis said...

"I know just how you feel..."

Thanks for sharing your quiet moment.

Anonymous said...

Incredible song from an incredible singer.

Thanks

Peter Mooney said...

I've just been down to the record shop and bought Pearl just to get this song. Great record but I think I like this version much better. I remember listening to this song 30 years ago. Thanks for refreshing my memory as to how good it is.

*jean* said...

how young and vulnerable she looked here....

Anonymous said...

I remember loving this song when I was 14 - my daughter's age now. Hearing it again at a different point in my life, 37 years later, still has the power to be meaningful.

Oh, how heroin sucks!