Friday, January 9, 2009

Weekend Video - Slumdog Trailer




I finally caught up with "Slumdog Millionaire" this week and in spite of all the critical praise being heaped on the film I was unprepared for the incredible originality, vitality, and beauty of the movie.

This is what the experience of going to the movies should be - a gripping story opening up new worlds, great acting, and inspired direction and cinematography. Even the way the (very few) subtitles are handled is fresh.

This trailer is about the only uninspired thing connected to the movie, but there's so much they didn't want to give away that I'll excuse it by saying it's not like one of those trailers like "Bride Wars" where after you've seen it there's no need to see the film.

Happy weekend viewing!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How timely, I've been waiting to see this for a long time and have plans to do so this afternoon.

Joe Holmes said...

Agreed, on all counts! And I love what they do under the end titles!

Anonymous said...

I must admit that I am overly surprised by the general enthousiasm surrounding this film.

Yes, it is a well made, ‘feel-good movie’ but it is just that.

I can understand that it is a breath of fresh air to movie goers that only see Spielberg or Hollywood movies but for anyone who has a slightly wider cinema knowledge, references, this film is, I feel, not worth the fuss, it is just an ok film with interesting 'clin d’oeils' here and there, like (as pointed out by Joe Holmes above)during the end credits, that’s about it.

The Year in Pictures said...

Dear Anon -

As stated above, I totally beg to differ!

JD.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog.

Victoria Thorne said...

marvelous that it walked away with so many golden globes, isn't it? refreshing to see how truly thrilled they were...

Anonymous said...

I agree with both Anonymous posters! I don't see what all the fuss is about-what formulaic schlock!- and I love your blog..! I guess it's a good thing we don't all feel the same way about everything in this world...