Thursday, April 1, 2010

Line and Form



So often when people are observing the change of seasons we get the same sky/horizon/ground composition with the straight line of the horizon dissecting the picture plane. Paul Octavious, however, had the originality to see that the curve of a hill had a novel and dynamic effect, and so in his series "Same Hill, Different Day" we are treated to a refreshing sight. As Octavious explains on his website:

For the past 2 years I have visited a beautiful mound of earth that I have come to call "the hill." Each time I have come to the hill a new story is told to me as if the hill is my stage and the locals are the actors in this daily play.

Nice job!













Likewise - James Reeve, who is one of the exhibitors in the forthcoming Hyeres Photo Festival, has refreshed the night landscape genre by covering so many different locales. I haven't seen the prints yet, but the j-pegs look beautiful. More by Reeve can be seen here and below.


La Rouviere, Marseille


Las Vegas


Beirut


Gulf of Thailand


Albert Bridge, London

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful selections. The Hill is a great idea very well executed.

Anonymous said...

oh my! these are pee-in-my-pants gorgeous!!!

--lara

Alice Olive said...

Oh. Wow. The Paul Octavious shots are amazing. Thank you for sharing. I am in awe of his perspective.

enrique said...

How we've missed you! Welcome back!

Unknown said...

Wow, this is really awesome. I love the sort of 'stage' the hill sets up...the silhouettes are beautiful, but I also love the photo with the kites; it holds so much action! This is a very interesting way to view landscapes and horizon lines. I love it!

The Photodiarist said...

Am having so much fun on your blog at this moment!