Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Weekend Video - Michael Jackson




This year's Thanksgiving message and Weekend Video comes courtesy of Michael Jackson, performing here at the 1988 Grammy Awards. Although he was at the peak of his stardom, it's still quite impressive he was given nearly seven minutes - and even more surprising that with four nominations that year he didn't receive one award. Nevertheless. the song has an admirable message, and while it's not clear that Michael followed his own advice, here are the lyrics to the first few verses and chorus of "Man in the Mirror":

I'm gonna make a change, for once in my life.
It's gonna feel real good, gonna make a difference,
Gonna make it right.

As I, turn up the collar on my favorite winter coat
This wind is blowin' my mind.
I see the kids in the street, with not enough to eat
Who am I, to be blind? Pretending not to see their needs
A summer's disregard, a broken bottle top
And a one man's soul
They follow each other on the wind ya' know
'Cause they got nowhere to go.
That's why I want you to know

I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good lord, the man's a freak.

Jonathan Canlas said...

right on

frank_ezelle said...

The oddity of Michael Jackson now makes it easy to forget the talent that he once possessed. This performance was 20 years ago and Michael Jackson has been through several lifetimes of change since that time.

Barry said...

Great message and a great performance.

It's never too late to look in the mirror (and mirrors never lie) and then make a change.

Thanks for posting this!

Jamie Sterns said...

creepers. poor mj.

Anonymous said...

Raw talent, and passion. That's all you need for a beautiful performance, not all the kitschy bullshit we see now