Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Hope




A personal note:

It’s been worrying these last few weeks to follow the polls and listen to the news and hear the constant stream of negativity and distortion from the right. Democrats have become so accustomed of late to having defeat snatched from the jaws of victory that there’s an underlying sense of uncertainty which I hope is only a precautionary defense mechanism – unnecessary preparation for an outcome that will not come about.

So here’s the good news (as far as I'm concerned). This past weekend I was out at our house in Suffolk County, Long Island - a generally Republican area. To my surprise, however, as I drove around I only saw Obama lawn signs, and when I went out for a run I came across this beautiful tree towering over yet another Obama sign. So I hightailed it back to get my camera and take what felt to me like a symbolic picture of a season of hope and change.

The concept of an intelligent, thoughtful, inclusive, forward thinking, and positive President, who happens to be an African-American, is so true to the promise and nature of this country that before all those golden leaves fall off this tree, I can only hope and believe there will be a new spirit lifting this country.



6 comments:

Barry said...

We had a big wind and rain storm last night in the Pacific Northwest. Now the trees are nearly bare, the leaves covering the ground. But the Obama/Biden signs remain standing. I hope everyone votes!

Tereneh Idia said...

I just voted! Long lines in California but the rain has stopped and people are smiling and waiting to vote. I believe. Hope!

Anonymous said...

Long lines in New York too. I had to wait over an hour. But thanks for the beautiful picture and I hope you'll keep blogging in the new administration.

Diego S.

nina corvallo said...

the whole world is watching and hoping, you are voting for all of us :)

Anonymous said...

Hope is what it comes down to-- waking up tomorrow to know that there is hope. No, things won't be magically a-ok, but there will be hope.

Anonymous said...

thank goodness America woke up and voted for the future of this country and not for a return to the same failures and broken promises...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eyesawfoto/2923533021/

all the best from Pittsburgh~btezra