Friday, December 12, 2008

An Unexpected Visit


Dijkstra by Danziger


As you can see, I had the unexpected pleasure of a visit from Rineke Dijkstra today, in town for the Marlene Dumas show at MoMA, and coming in to see the "Sander's Children" exhibition. (That's her picture in the back on the right and an August Sander she was particularly drawn to on the left.)


Sander, left; Dijkstra, right.

It's always an interesting experience to go round a show with any photographer and other than the Sanders, Rineke's favorites seemed to be the Tubkes, The Sartorialist pictures, and the Avedon of Dylan. When I told her that Sart's pictures were digital she was completely intrigued, going so far as to write down the name of his camera (the Canon 5D).

While I usually feel it's intrusive to take a famous visitor's picture, at this point (and for the sake of the blog) I asked if I could take her picture and then she wanted to see my camera, the Panasonic DMC L-1. But as you'll see from her picture of me, my decision to stop shaving for a couple of days and pull out a shirt from the bottom of the drawer were not in my best photographic interest. Oh well, there's always photoshop.


Danziger by Dijkstra


Lastly, as recommended, I went to the opening of Jorg Colberg's show "Bare" last night where my favorite picture was one that is surprisingly not included on the Mazzeo Gallery website. It's from Jennifer Loeber's series of Brooklyn nudes and aside from the obvious beauty of the subject it's a wonderfully luminous shot.


Jennifer Loeber. Williamsburg #6

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey James
LOVE your blog, I'm a faithful reader.
Wondering if you could provide a useful service -- a pronunciation key to Rineke's full name?

:-)

Thanks!

nina corvallo said...

thanks you for sharing, and I agree about Jen's image. I love the light and gesture of the woman in the image.

The Year in Pictures said...

Pronunciation of Rineke Dijkstra:

Run-a-kay Dike-stra.

Hope that helps. - JD.

Unknown said...

What a treat!

amanda said...

I don't think Rineke Dijkstra focused on "not in my best photographic interest" at all.

Paul Pincus said...

wow, the peerless rineke dijkstra! congratulations on the exhibit, james!

ps both portraits are great

pps thanks to you i've talked my partner into the will cotton drawing. you're our art consultant even when you're not! cheers.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer's photo was my favorite of the show as well. Her work is wonderful.