Thursday, August 11, 2011

Weekend Video - Senna




By now, those of you who are sick of the monkey picture will realize I'm on something of a summer hiatus. Officially I'm back after Labor Day.

But one last post and recommendation for the summer.

"Senna" is a documentary about about the Brazilian motor-racing champion, Ayrton Senna that is being released in the States tomorrow. It explores his arrival in Formula One in the mid 1980s, and follows his struggles both on track against his rival, French World Champion Alain Prost, and off it, against the internal politics of the sport. Directed by Asif Kapadia, it was a huge success in England and won the World Cinema Audience Award for documentaries at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival.

The film is a gripping story on many levels. There is the charisma of its subject, matters of spirituality, and glimpses into Brazilian culture. Beacause I knew so little about Senna and motor racing, the story kept me on the edge of my seat while the insight in to Formula One racing was a fascinating glimpse into another world.

Just see it.

Ciao for now.

2 comments:

Hello My Name Is Art said...

Senna was great. I grew up with formula one in my house and I remember distinctly the day he died.(oops spoiler alert for those unfamiliar, sorry) In fact my Dad would tape all the races because they air late at night due to the time zone. And we would watch them Sundays together. Still to this day he has all those VHS tapes in a library.

All in all I second the "just see it" sentiment.

Puja said...

thanks for the recommendation... it starts in seattle tomorrow!