Monday, July 26, 2010

Two London Shows


Mick Jagger by David Bailey

On a flying visit to England I stopped in to Hamilton's Gallery to see the show of David Bailey's enlarged contact sheets. They're very large, effective, a trip down memory lane, and a reminder of his place as the English Avedon. Here are a few of my favorites:


Jean Shrimpton


John Lennon and Paul McCartney


The Rolling Stones


Catherine Deneuve



Next door to Hamilton's the Timothy Taylor Gallery had an original Diane Arbus show tucked away in the back - a selection of her most summery pictures. I guess it's not surprising that a photographer who roamed the streets would do well in the summer but Arbus is in some ways so dark one wouldn't always put the two together. Anyway, a selection of known and unknown:











1 comment:

Macthomson said...

A very long time ago the photos Bailey selected from the contacts on display were published in a limited edition... about 50x50 centimetre format. And although I no longer have the complete set, at least a few of the loose leaf pages have followed me through many, many years of travels.

Your post reminds me that I need to try and find them again, particularly a memorable shot of the delightful Jane Birkin...