Thursday, May 27, 2010

Weekend Video - Memorial Day Edition




I get a lot of press releases suggesting I put various things on this blog but this one seemed straightforward and appealing and it's happening tonight in Brooklyn. The e-mail said:

Hi there,

My name is Jenny and I work with Rooftop Films (rooftopfilms.com), a summer film series dedicated to showcasing new, independent films and emerging bands in unique outdoor locations. This is our 14th year of Underground Movies Outdoors.

THIS WEEK’S SHOWS:

Thursday, May 27

ETIENNE!

NY Premiere! A quirky slacker road movie comedy about a man and his hamster.

Directed by Jeff Mizushima

Where:

On the roof of Brooklyn Technical High School (29 Fort Greene Pl., Fort Greene)

When:

8:00 Doors Open

8:30 Live Music by Natureboy

9:00 Films Begin


Following was this synopsis:


Etienne! tells the story of Richard, a shy type who spends his days taking care of his best friend, Etienne, a dwarf hamster. One day Richard finds out that his hamster has terminal cancer. The veterinarian recommends euthanasia before the animal begins to suffer. Before he lets his best friend go, Richard decides to take Etienne on a bicycle road trip and show it the world.


I dug up the trailer above on YouTube. And if my daughter wasn't in the middle of studying for exams, you would probably see us there. (She loves hamsters.) Maybe we'll even sneak out!

I'll be back next week with some serious photography.

2 comments:

Pascaline said...

thanks for showing us that!
It almost made me crx and laugh at the same time. the idea is nice and touching and funny in the best sincere way, wich is not so common.

katharine said...

Love it. hope it gets out to the IFC or a theater near my.