Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Season's Greetings



With a gallery owner, an editor in chief, and a teenage daughter in the family, it's never easy to find a Christmas card everyone agrees on. This year proved particularly challenging as my daughter's braces came off a week ago requiring a new visual. However, thanks to the trusty (albeit focus challenged) iPhone and the Matt Umanov guitar store on Bleecker Street where my son was trying out banjos, we came up with this e-card that everyone was happy with.

The family picture Christmas card seems a particularly American tradition. I think Europeans find it a bit embarassing - either deludedly self-promoting or too personal, but I think it's nice to see how people's kids are growing up or how Mom and Dad look hiking in Yosemite!

Our best card photographically had to be a picture of the kids taken by The Sartorialist a couple of years ago but he's been so busy with his book tour there was no chance of that this year.

Clearly the photos above are no great shakes aesthetically, but as the readership of this blog is a photographic one, send in your Xmas card photos to jd@danzigerprojects.com and I'll post a selection.

Happy Holidays!


J&J (&J) by The Sartorialist. 2007.

4 comments:

Clare said...

Merry Christmas to you & your family - & thanks for the great blog!

Joe Holmes said...

I love family photo cards -- before Flickr, it was the only way to watch faraway kids growing up. I'm glad some of my friends still send them.

As a friend of mine wrote a couple days ago, "Happy Merry Everything!"

Susan Whishaw said...

James: wishing you and your family a most wonderful holiday and all good things for the coming New Year.
Thank you for all you do! Please keep up the great work!!

zara said...

James, first of all, merry Christmas to you and your family! (cute kids, btw)
secondly, you're right. Europeans do not cultivate this cute 'family-X-mass-card' tradition, unfortunately. I'd love to see it growing here, but alas, people over here are bit shy in this department, if I may say so. I don't like to get photographed very much myself, and I use our yellow lab as the Christmas model instead. She's a bit difficult to capture, as I always dress her in silly stuff. I still haven't made a Christmas picture this year, but hope to catch up tomorrow (will send it in).