Friday, May 1, 2009

Weekend Video




Like many of you, I loved the movie “Once” which introduced me to the music of Glen Hansard. NPR recently broadcast a concert of Hansard and his co-star and now girlfriend Marketa Iglova on their "Live from the Artists' Den" series and I happened to catch the last half including what I gather is a regular routine where they insert a segment of “Pure Imagination” from "Willy Wonka" into their song “Star Star”!

Unfortunately I couldn’t find that clip but my YouTube search did come up with this tribute performance by 7 year old Ethan as well as the Gene Wilder original and a visually shaky but audio clear Hansard concert clip from littlexwingx07. At 1:40 into the clip you will hear them break into “Pure Imagination”.





5 comments:

giggles said...

Sad to say that I heard they broke up?!

"Once" is a wonderful movie and story.... I cry every time I hear "Falling slowly." Their harmonies just melt me....

nate mott band said...

if you like that performance of Star, Star check out Glen Hansard's band The Frames. I recommend the album "Set List" a compilation of amazing live performances. This album includes my favorite version of star, star.

enjoy!

Joe Holmes said...

I loved that movie -- what a perfect ending. And then so sweet to see the two of them win the Oscar! Brought tears to my eyes...

Michael George said...

If you ever get the chance to see Hansard perform with his full band The Frames don't miss it. I saw them at Webster Hall a year or so back and, to my delight, Marketa showed up for the encore and they played some songs from the album. It was one of the most high energy shows I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Their violinist has some serious talent, and just as I did while watching this video, I got major chills when they transitioned into 'Pure Imagination.'

Mandy Corrado said...

Wow.

Now I’m in love with little Ethan and his version of “Pure Imagination." I have always loved that song... this is the best!!!

Thank you for posting this!!!! It made my day!

:-)