Friday, August 1, 2008

Weekend Video - Aretha Franklin




It’s always a treat to come across a video that’s only been watched by a few people – in this case just over 500 at first posting. It’s Aretha Franklin singing “Dr. Feelgood” in 1968. I believe the clip is from a performance in Amsterdam.

Although Franklin had been recording since 1956 (when she was a pure gospel singer) in 1968 she had just moved from Columbia Records to Atlantic and had ten Top Ten hits over the period of a year and a half. She was also in the process of becoming a major international star, touring Europe and releasing the album “Aretha in Paris”, recorded at the famous Olympia theater.

I love the old black and white stock of the video, and in addition to
the famous voice, the performance shows Aretha to be a fine and underrated keyboardist.

4 comments:

porter hovey said...

What a treasure -- what a great way to start out the weekend.

Virginia said...

Lord that girl can sing! Thanks for the memories. While you're at it could you dig up some footage of Dr. Feelgood and the Interns from around that time?

Anonymous said...

James, if I look at your posts on a weekly rather than a daily basis, then I have to say the week ended August 1 was one of your best ever. The range of subject matter, the examples of stunning photography, the interview, the utility (the PSA!) and the insightful commentary all make "The Year in Pictures" such a well-rounded pleasure to read at the end of every day. It's one of my absolute favorite things to read and SEE on the web. But of all the rich offerings this week, my favorite nugget is your throwaway line in the Ghirri write-up, that the snapshot size "adds to the intrigue." I don't even know what that literally means, but I think I know what you're talking about. Anyway, more kudos...

jaydee

DeadwoodPete said...

Hi,

I have now been reading this blog for a couple of months and find it influencing my "visual sense". I find this amazing since I think my visual sense has been unaffected since I read Weston's Day Books 20 years ago. Thanks, Deadwood