Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dark




I know what I’m looking forward to! And I’m not usually a fan of summer action movies, but the recent Batman films directed by Christopher Nolan are done with such care, skill, and creativity that they truly are works not just of commerce but of art. The cinematography in particular is just gorgeous – every frame darkly
and richly lit, the color balanced beautifully for the dark palette the filmmakers are working in. Just watch the trailer.

I’ve also particularly enjoyed the design and roll-out of the posters – a brilliant blend of photography, illustration, photoshop, and graphic design.

There’s a rumor on the web that this could be the first film to gross $200 million on its opening weekend. Let’s see if all this care, commitment, and chutzpah pays off!















6 comments:

nina corvallo said...

Yes, the trailer makes it look like a well done summer movie, however I saw another bit of the movie (scene of the bank robbery), which was simply appallingly violent. And somehow I am also uneasy with Michael Caine banished into the role of the wise cracking butler.

Melissa said...

I, for two, cannot wait!

Unknown said...

it's gonna be so good! My favorite poster is the close-up of the black suit with the smeared red joker smile over it and the joker cards as background. fantastic!

Tom Shone said...

i love the poster that's the portrait of batman done in the montage effect. kinda creepy and sinister........
the trailer is fab!

Peteski said...

Greatness. I wasn't a huge fan of 'Begins' (and unlike everyone else I am not a Warner Bros. accountant so I do not care about how much money it makes ) BUT I'm still holding out - hoping this'll be good, great even. So far, the campaign has been epic.

Christopher Paquette said...

I saw this tonight..... it is fantastic, the photography is beautiful, it was a bit too long for my taste, Heath Ledger deserves the Oscar...brilliant performance.