Friday, June 27, 2008

Weekend Video - Flashdance




For some reason, the 25th anniversary of the film “Flashdance” is passing by without the usual fanfare accorded to such decade defining films. So to redress the balance a montage of scenes set to the film's Oscar-winning Best Song “What a Feeling” (music by Giorgio Moroder, lyrics by Keith Forsey and Irene Cara).

For those in need of narrative assistance, a brief re-cap: “Flashdance” featured Jennifer Beals as Alex Owens, a Pittsburgh steel-mill welder by day, and exotic dancer by night. Harboring dreams of a career in ballet, she is supported by her hunky but kind-hearted boss Nick (Michael Nouri) and her tough but big-hearted instructor Hanna Long (Lilia Skala). Will Alex get in to the prestigious dance academy? Will true love bloom? Will leg-warmers stay in fashion?

Controversy ensued when it was revealed that many of the film's signature dance scenes were largely performed by Beals' dance double Marine Jahan, but the film went on to dominate the summer box-office.

Can we start talking revival here?


3 comments:

nina corvallo said...

If I remember correctly I snuck into the theater to see this. My mom thought I was too young for this movie. I think I was just 10.
Anyway, I just wanted to mention Adrian Lyne- because he directed this film and other films that much shaped the decade and that I think had a very strong influence aesthetically.
I think Adrian Lyne is a master at capturing mood.
'9 1/2' weeks really is just a softcore movie to me (and that is ok), however I love how Mr. Lyne portrayed downtown New York. Or looking at how he captured the meat packing district before gentrification in 'Fatal Attraction'.
And I am in love with the loft used in the 2002 'Unfaithful'. So old skool.

Unknown said...

such a classic!

I can't NOT run in place when I hear the beginning of She's a Maniac!

This scene definitely rivals Kevin Bacon's dramatic "angry" dance in Footloose.

Lydia said...

I don't want a revival, I want to go back!