Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Creativity





Ruth Ansel is one of today's greatest graphic designers. In a career that began as an assistant to Marvin Israel, she has been the art director of Harper’s Bazaar, The New York Times Magazine, Vanity Fair, House & Garden and Vogue, and designed books for Richard Avedon, Peter Beard, and Annie Leibovitz amongst others.

We’re old friends, having worked together at Vanity Fair and on many subsequent gallery projects, but every time I visit her apartment I am pulled in by the feeling that this is what creativity looks like. Her home/work environment is neat as a pin, but visual ideas sprout off every surface. In one room are the mini-layouts of a book in progress celebrating Elsa Peretti’s career. In another room - shelves of pictures given, bought, picked up on travels, sent by friends, or created on assignment. Somehow, there is abundance without clutter! Energy and calm.

I don't believe any magazine has ever photographed it - so, given my love of environment and installation, I thought I would share these snaps.





7 comments:

Joanna Goddard said...

oh my goodness what an amazing art collection. it must be so great to just go over there and look around very slowly....thanks for this very inspiring post. xo

Katharine Smith-Warren said...

I love these photos. Studying the installations I can see they are not random and are carefully thought out. What a great way to display art/photos.

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting this- great reminder that it is not just about the photographers but also about the people who work and showcase their work!

Anonymous said...

I want that Bill Traylor picture!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post.

I'm struck by how thought-filled her display is.

There is nothing precious about it.

-- desertwind

Anonymous said...

Oh my good....

Its a too good collection that a normal person never think off...

Steve Johnson said...

Cool.